Warrington 4-up

Race planning, results, questions, do it in here...

Warrington 4-up

Postby thesilentman » April 7th, 2008, 10:58 pm

Gents,

We were discussing this tonight at the club night and myself, Alex and Malcolm are all keen. We were thinking we could get at least two teams in, seems like it could be a fun event. It's on June 19th so plenty of time to get fit and get some practice in, so who's keen?

Cheers
thesilentman
First Cat

Re: Warrington 4-up

Postby Mally » April 10th, 2008, 6:26 pm

Hi guys

Anyone interested in that four up, it would be great fun to see how we would do! I would be up for it and it would be good if some experienced guys in the club could ride to give us the benefit of their knowledge on how to time trial.

Mally
Mally
World Champion

Postby Mally » June 13th, 2008, 6:52 pm

Guys,

Just got back from conference, and there is still no start sheet, if it hasn't arrived by tomorrow, then i will ring the organiser, as we were right on the deadline.

See you this Sunday on the club run .

Mally
Mally
World Champion

Postby Mally » June 15th, 2008, 6:33 pm

To Tony, Alex, Mark, we have got into the Warrington 4Up, I will see you all on Monday as agreed for our practise run again at 7:00pm at the same place in the lane. I will bring the start sheets for you all and we will make our arrangements then. If anyone has any problems let us know through the message board.

Ha Ha :D this is going to be fun and pain all in the same evening.

Mally
Mally
World Champion

Postby Baldy Welshy » June 15th, 2008, 9:14 pm

For what its worth, here are my tips, though I'm sure most of you know all this already ...

1. On tri bars its harder to see the wheel in front because your hands are in the way. You realise what a point of reference this is when you first follow a wheel on tribars. Be careful not to touch wheel - I found it weird at first.

2. Go through on the down wind side, and change rotation direction in a side wind. This makes it easier to come through.

3. MOST IMPORTANT - Go through fast, then ease up slightly to let the next man through!! No heroics. If you try to ride hard at the front, you will just kill the next guy's legs who can't come through.

Good luck chaps.
Baldy Welshy
Site Admin

Postby resultboardman » June 15th, 2008, 11:14 pm

I would have thought it makes more sense to only be on the tri bars for the lead rider, I know there are still areodynamic advantages for the other three on the tri bars, but as John rightly points out the wheel in front can be hard to see, good luck to the 4 Abbots, I spoke to Trevor Horton yesterday and he has sent back 8 entries, so you've done well to get a ride. I might try and come out to give support, what is your start time?

(For anyone else planning to come out, the HQ is Cranage Village Hall.)

Steve S
resultboardman
Elite Poster

Postby Mally » June 17th, 2008, 12:52 pm

Steve/John thanks for the support, we will need it, had a couple of trial runs and now we hope we have that understanding of each others strenghts and weaknesses. The event starts at 7:00pm and we are off at 7:24. Thanks for the tips and we will try to follow some of them, but safety is our main concern over everthing, so tri bars will be respected for what they are really for at the front of the team.

How did you get on Neil in your "25 " last saturday let us know. Did you see the result sheet of the liverpool century "10",you and i we next to each other in the result board. Now thats close .

See you soon

Mally
Mally
World Champion

Postby bikegeek » June 17th, 2008, 11:38 pm

All the best to you on the 4up. I 2nd John & Steves comments that you need to keep your eyes open when drafting on the extentions. At that speed the slightest lapse in concentration can be scary to say the least. Hopefully you will work out a good rhythm for spacing & changing at the front and make it look how it does on Eurosport.

Go on the A.R.T.!
bikegeek
Third Cat

Postby Sean@theedge » June 18th, 2008, 10:11 am

Have a good one tommorw, i will cheer you on. Ill try and take some pictures of you for the website aswell. :)
Sean@theedge
Second Cat

Postby thesilentman » June 19th, 2008, 10:33 pm

Mally said I should do a brief write up for the site, so here goes:

After three or four shakedown rides we arrived at the start raring to go, hoping we could keep the line together more than we did in training. We got off to a flying start, Alex hammering off down the hill with us three hanging onto his rear wheel! However, we quickly settled into a good pace, with some nice tight riding and good changes. Turning onto Seven Sisters though we hit a meaty headwind, slowing the pace and causing pain to set in. A similar story on the A50, though Alex started commanding the troops giving great encouragement. Off the A50 and we had tail wind back, with some awesome patches at 28-30mph in Red Arrows-esque close configuration.

Turns then started to shorten, with Mally and Tony putting in some great spurts to keep the pace up. Alex then started pulling some monster turns with unrelenting pace into the headwind, for which I was definitely thankful. Back on the A50 and we were still together despite a couple of misjudgements out of the junction. Back together and Alex led out again, reeling in the Manc. Wheelers before coming off the front (cheers Alex!). Finally, the foursome reached the finish still together, all pleased it was finally over!

So, a time of 1:01:37 if I remember correctly, a respectable time in that wind I think. Overall, loads of fun and we surprised ourselves with our tight riding. Thanks to our supporters at the pub on the home straight as well!

I want another go.
thesilentman
First Cat

Postby Baldy Welshy » June 19th, 2008, 11:23 pm

Good work chaps, and well done for catching the manc wheelers.

Was it raining as well as windy?
Baldy Welshy
Site Admin

Postby Sean@theedge » June 20th, 2008, 12:19 pm

Well done guys, you looked like you wernt hanging about when you came past were i was stood. Must have been hard becuase that headwead was strong. At least it didnt hammer it down, because the sky was looking very dodgy at times.

About the pictures.....well...erm, i am a rubbish photographer and they are just a blur and you cant even make them out, so sorry about that.
Sean@theedge
Second Cat

Return to Racing