Big up the Oldies

Race planning, results, questions, do it in here...

Big up the Oldies

Postby Baldy Welshy » May 28th, 2008, 6:44 pm

Big respect to Mally and Neil, making it three of us taking part in Sunday's Elswick LVRC road race.

It looks like you'll not be in my group, but three Abbots at a road race, it just begs the question, where's Jim ?

Hopefully I can stay in the bunch for longer than last weekends' effort :(

More LVRC and TLI coming along soon. You knows it.
Baldy Welshy
Site Admin

Re: Big up the Oldies

Postby Baldy Welshy » May 29th, 2008, 4:16 pm

I have just put my entry form for the second Elswick LVRC event in the post, trust you boys doing the same. What about the Oulton Park, time to enter is upon us!

No doubt you boys are also riding the Westmead 25 on Saturday so see you then.
Baldy Welshy
Site Admin

Postby Mally » May 30th, 2008, 8:52 am

Hi,

Yes racing on Sunday, so see you there John , this will be a great experiance for me after all those years since i last rode in a road race, should be fun.That race you did in Ireland looked very hard indeed, it also looked like the riders were of real quality, well done for just entering it. Neil i will give you a call re-transport, as we had sugessted. No point going in two cars, unless of course you want to. I see Neil there are a few names from the past, you might try to sit on Pete Matthews wheel and let him drag you along, then out sprint him at the finish. :D

All the best

Mally
Mally
World Champion

Postby Mally » June 1st, 2008, 8:35 pm

hi Guys,

Just to let you all know, we rode the Elswick Road Race, as you are aware we were all in different age groups, and Johns younger group went off first, followed by my age group, followed by Neils all at 5 minute intervals, if i am not mistaken. I lasted about a lap and a bit, and made the fundamental mistake of not being able to close a gap after going to the front for a mega second, and the speed went up and i was gone. The fluctuation in the speed got me, i just haven't got it yet, will have to do some speed work in my training schedule, so i struggled on trying to catch a couple of guys who had also been dropped, with little success, kept getting close to them, but just couldn't bridge that gap! Then, Neils group caught me, so i sat on the back, they weren't hanging about either, in fact they had lost Neil and quite a few others it seemed.The rain became worse, but i decided to stay with this group come what may, so i hung on as the speed went up and down. However for my first ever rode race for more than 30 years this group was right for me to get back into cycle racing again. I would like to thank those guys and gal for their support, i really enjoyed it, it was hard and fast, and bl**dly wet, but what an experience.

John rode well, and came 11th i think he said, but after all he had ridden a 25 on the Saturday, well done boy"o".

I will see you at the club night

All the best

Mally
Mally
World Champion

Postby Baldy Welshy » June 2nd, 2008, 10:26 pm

An excellent weekend of racing.

This LVRC stuff is no soft option and it was fast from the off. I was determined to large it today, and got in the early break, six of us away after 5 miles. This was hard going with stronger legs than mine keeping the pace high and the bunch working hard behind and coming within a few hundred yards after 40 miles of pain. Five more bridged it across from the bunch with 5 miles to the finish, to make 11 of us away.

The fresher legs in the break upped the pace and the attacks came thick and fast and I got wrong footed a few times, found myself chasing and nearly lost contact a few times in the last couple of miles.

Despite being well positioned on the final bend, the legs had gone and I trailed over the line last in the group but happy to have spent the whole weekend on the rivet. The plan is to get some form in a few weeks time for the Newry 3 day here in Ireland, though this is pretty hill so time to stop eating pies.

Great to see Malcolm and Neil at the event today, and happy as me after the fun, despite the rain and the pain. Get your entries in for the next one of these now !!
Baldy Welshy
Site Admin

Return to Racing