Bole hill road race

Race planning, results, questions, do it in here...

Bole hill road race

Postby Sean@theedge » June 7th, 2008, 7:01 pm

Just noticed that theres an Abottsford rider down for bole hill road race this sunday.
Good luck, i am marshalling and will be at the top of monkey wrench climb (the other hard climb on the opposite side of bole hill). So i shall give you a cheer as you pass. :D

Dont mean to sound rude but Robert Mace have i met you? I cant think if i have :oops:

Good luck, its a tough one!
Sean@theedge
Second Cat

Re: Bole hill road race

Postby Baldy Welshy » June 7th, 2008, 9:42 pm

So there is !!!! :o

Brave Lad, its the elusive Robert Mace, he should have said something, I may have been foolhardy to ride myself!!!

Good luck to him, that's a hard race, and a top ten place counts for a lot. I've only ridden it once and went out the back on the first climb. :(
Baldy Welshy
Site Admin

Postby Baldy Welshy » June 7th, 2008, 9:56 pm

On account of Mr Mace in the peleton tomorrow I've decided to try get a ride too.

I haven't pre-entered but the hilly ones like this killer are never full so I'll go for some big suffering too.

See you tomorrow Sean, I'll be the one out the back on the first lap :(
Baldy Welshy
Site Admin

Postby Baldy Welshy » June 8th, 2008, 5:45 pm

On my second attempt at this event., I was determined to stay in contact with the bunch until the top of the first climb, if nothing else.

A modest ambition some would say, but a big improvement on my previous performance which saw me off the back in the first minute of the race.

Well, I gave it 100% up the first climb, monkey hill (I'm making this name up) a 1 in 8'er with a kick near the top, and found myself near the front over the summit.

I was dead chuffed. Unfortunately however I could also feel my body was going into shock from the effort and knew that there was no way it could take two hours of such punishment. It was the taste of blood coming from the lungs panicked into gasping at the oxygen debt, and the trembling all over that gave it away.

Fighting to regain some composure, I sat near the front of the bunch, looking round for young Rob Mace and wondering if youth was saving him from a similar agony.

As we dropped down the big descent to the main brutal climb, Bole Hill, it felt like my brakes had automatically engaged as we hit the lower slope and the sound of chain rings changing was all around.

Still gasping for air, riders were coming past left and right as I struggled to calculate the required pace to get over the top in contact with the peleton. Unable to get any more pace I was distanced 50 yards at the top, but so were others and after a big effort regrouped within a few miles A small climb is on the approach back to Doveholes, something that would usually be dead easy, but the game was up as my body threw in the towel and the group drifted away up monkey hill.

A couple more stragglers and I regrouped and soldiered on. It took 20 minutes for my breathing to calm down. Hopefully I'll stop coughing by tomorrow.

Half an hour later I spotted Rob Mace sat at the finish line. Whether he stayed in the bunch longer than me, I'm not sure, but I have a feeling he got caught out by the ferocity of the first climb like I did on my first race here. I did warn him about it beforehand, but nothing can really prepare you for it. It's not the steepness of that first climb, or it's length, but its the speed at which the bunch go up it that takes the breath away.

Like the guy in the laughing group off the back with me said, 'That first climb was a sprint all the way up to the top'.
Baldy Welshy
Site Admin

Postby Sean@theedge » June 8th, 2008, 6:57 pm

I cant think of a more brutal race in this country than this.

Suprisingly John, it was the E123 race that compelty split at the start. Yours seem to crumble second time round. It was worth finshing though, much better than a DNF :)
results are up:

http://www.cdnw.org/Road_Race_League_2008/Event_7_Bole_Hill/Event_7_Bole_Hill.htm
Sean@theedge
Second Cat

Return to Racing